Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Chapter 2. Story of the lost bag

The moment I realized I'm short of one items, a kind of sinking feeling engulfed me. I started backbiting my intention of saving those few dollars and losing my dear laptop carrying most of my digital life. I stood there lost! not knowing what to do now.

It took few moments to recollect myself and think about the next steps.  The first thought that came to my mind was to pick up the phone and call the NSW bus service and inform them about what has just happened. It did sound like a bright idea and immediately I reached out for my mobile, only to realize that the poor device has ran out of battery. It dawned on me that I might as well be running out of luck! Every moment I could feel my dear laptop moving away from me, increasing my level of anxiety. My survival instincts kicked in and my mind starting pumping newer ideas!!

I was already at the doorstep of my host. How about asking him to help me out. So, I knocked at the door once, but, couldn't feel any movement inside the house. I tried few more times, it was dead silence inside. I thought I couldn't be so unlucky to have no one in the house on the day of my check-in?!!! I then called out the name of my host and there I saw his mother on the door, ushering me inside. I breathed a sigh of relief, but, I was running out of time and had to do something to reach back to my laptop. So, I asked her if I could meet her son urgently. She said something which I couldn't understand as it was probably Mandarin or Cantonese. It didn't take long to realize that we had a language barrier and it would be next to impossible for me to make her understand that I have lost my bag and I need her help.

I tried my best to explain in broken mix of sign-language and English that I needed her to call her son!! She thought for a moment and understood, and caller him. I resisted the temptation of pulling her phone and shout out for help. The damn thing kept on ringing and slowly I started getting present to another scenario, "What if he doesn't pick the phone?" It was just a thought that soon became a reality and I was left to look out for the next possible solution.

My mind started working like a machine, throwing ideas faster than I could process them. At the same time my mind space became a battleground for the devil and the advocate!!

D: Where's your mobile charger?
A: "Oh crap that's in the bag I just lost".....
D: You fool!! you lost more $$ than you wanted to save, told you to take a cab!!
A: Hmm

As Zakir Khan would say "Bhai Tera Stud Hai", I went on to the next possible solution and asked the Granny if she had a Mobile Charger ? Ofcourse without adding that I would need a "Type C" connector for my Google Pixel!! I adapted well to make her understand through an innovative sign language that I had just invented in this moment of desperation, and she showed me her phone that was just a basic feature phone which is difficult to find these days. I knew I was losing time and had to think out of the box. Here comes the next scheme of things.

I didn't have the NSW Buses office number, I couldn't search for it and I didn't remember anyone's number in Sydney to use Granny's phone to make a call. I searched my pockets and I realized I just have this "Opal Card" and some money at the moment to make a last ditch effort to somehow trace my laptop bag!! What if the bus that went away after dropping me is coming back to complete the  round trip? I surely remembered the Bus Route Number, the bus-stop from where I boarded it and where I alighted! And I was out in a jiffy toward the bus-stop that was there in the opposite direction where I got down.

I waited there for sometime and there came a Bus, different though! I boarded the Bus and went straight to the driver and explained her the situation. I was wondering what she would say or do to help me as she was not looking much concerned (we Indians like a lot of drama and emotion to genuinely feel being helped :) . .......call it Bollywood effect!!). She asked me about the description of the bag, the Bus route, the stop details which I had recalled in my mind for not less than a million times since I lost my bag. I blurted the information like an overdue delivery!!

She picked the radio device and spoke about the lost property with the details I had given and started driving. I sat in the bus, to the closest seat to make it a point that I'm here to take help and in real dire straits!! After few radio jitters and audible chatters, which lasted for almost 10 or 15 minutes. She said, "The driver has reported this bag in the bus, but, he wouldn't be going back to the depot until 9:30 pm. I suggest you go the Dural Bus Depot and collect it tomorrow morning."

For a moment I thought, it's too good to be true. She gave me the address of the depot and dropped me at the next stop. I couldn't thank her enough, she acknowledged and went ahead with her duty. For me it was a jubilant moment and a big sigh of relief. Looked like the long tiring journey would finally have a happy ending!!


lost & found bag
The Lost & Found Bag

Next day I went to fetch it, the official at the Lost and Found department in the Dural Bus Depot greeted me with a smile and helped me pick the "Bag I had Lost".


In the end it sounds as simple as calling at the Bus office and getting your information noted. But, this is so unlike anything I could imagine! I lost bag, means a lost bag in my country. Of Course! you would consider yourself ridiculously lucky if that happens.




Few tips:

1. Use public transport from Airport!! Its really good, just be careful with your luggage. Useful info here  Airportlink 

2. Buy an Opal Card at the airport, its acceptable in all NSW trains and buses.


3. Check that your mobile is sufficiently charged before you board the bus/train.

4. If you loose your item(s) in a public transport, visit Lost Property NSW transport site


Next up in my Bootstrapping Sydney, (Permanent Resident) Story........

- Struggle/Strategy for finding a Job in Sydney
- Finding job in Sydney (from India)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 3. The PR Application Process

This post sends us back to the time, when you need to prepare yourself to collect all the information you need to start the application pro...